Complete your qualification in as few as 18-20 months and lead change in your community
This fully online programme enables educators to advance through increased knowledge, problem solving exercises, and practical applications. The skills learned can be used immediately in the classroom and ACT completion certifies teachers as fully qualified according to South Africa's Department of Basic Education. Currently fully qualified teachers wanting to work in different content areas or grade levels can also expand their current credentials by completing the ACT in their desired area of teaching.
Students complete the certificate programme via a 100% online format, so no travel or contact sessions are required. There are no formal exams; student progress is measured through online assessments based on demonstrating methods and procedures to be used in the professional management of learning within defined contexts.
National Qualifications Framework (NQF) Level 6 competences are organised into nine consecutive 8-week sessions. These are designed to meet the practical needs of working educators, and include online tutors and technology support. Students can enrol in, and pay for, one session at a time.
This certificate programme can be completed, on a part-time student basis, in as few as 18-20 months.
Are you interested in completing this certificate online? Please read the following professional and technology requirements for admission to the programme.
Professional requirements for admission:
Admission to the Advanced Certificate in Teaching is subject to the General Rules for Undergraduate Qualifications. In addition, applicants must adhere to the requirements of the Faculty of Education and the Specific Requirements of the Discipline. The following Specific Requirements apply:
1) The minimum qualification admission requirement is an approved and recognised professional teaching qualification evaluated as REQV 13
2) Practising teacher (currently employed as a teacher)
3) In possession of a recognised professional teaching qualification at minimum NQF Exit level 5 or equivalent, which includes having:
a. A Teacher’s Diploma; or
b. National Professional Diploma in Education; or
c. Equivalent NQF Level 5 qualification; or
d. A 480-credit Bachelor of Education at NQF Level 7 (in a different phase or specialisation); or
e. An applicable Advanced Diploma or Postgraduate Certificate in Education (in a different phase or specialization)
4) Teachers who enrol for the qualification must provide proof that they either teach Senior Phase or have access to an Senior Phase classroom for the duration of the programme.
5) Have access to the Internet and a laptop. Laptop spesifications
Technology requirements for admission:
A laptop, as part of the equipment a student needs for the programme, is compulsory. ICT forms an integral part of the ACT programme.
You will be provided the opportunity to buy a laptop through Eduloan® at an exceptional competitive price on the Student Technology Program (STP). General information is available at http://www.eduloan.co.za/
The laptops purchased through the STP initiative come pre-loaded with the necessary anti-virus and processing software. However, purchasing of a laptop through Eduloan® is not compulsory. A student in the ACT program is free to purchase a laptop from any service provider.
The minimum requirements for a laptop to be used in the programme are as follows:
• Intel Core i5 CPU (1.8Ghz ) Minimum (Intel Core i5 2.0Ghz CPU and higher is preferred & Recommended ) (Note: A Intel Atom, Intel Celeron or AMD CPU is NOT recommended)
• 4GB RAM minimum (More Ram is Preferred)
• 500GB HDD – 1000GB HDD (Hard Disk Drive – Storage, larger HDD can store more information)
• Microsoft Windows 7 x64bit Minimum (see software Specifications )
• USB 2.0 - 2x Ports minimum, USB 3.0 is faster (Minimum 2x USB 2.0 Ports required, more is preferred)
• Built in Webcam and Mic (Normally std)
• Internal built in Speaker/s (Normally Std)
• 10/100/1000 Ethernet Port (RJ45 LAN) (Normally Std)
• WIFI 802.11b/g Minimum / 802.11N / 802.11AC (Normally Std)
• Bluetooth 4.0 (normally std)
• 104 Key Laptop Keyboard (Normally Std)
• HDMI Output
• VGA Output (Normally Std)
• Laptop Battery Life (up to 2 hours Minimum is pretty Std)
• 10.1” - 15.6” (Inch) WXGA Laptop Monitor/ Laptop Screen (Min: 1366 x 768 Resolution. Larger Screen and Higher resolution is better when working long hours on Laptop)
• DVD RW/CD-R Optical Drive (external USB model is also ok if laptop does not include one, Note: a lot of the new models do not included a optical drive)
Software Minimum Specifications:
• Microsoft Windows OS (Win 7 x64; Windows 8.1 x64; Windows 10 x64 – all can be the Home or the Pro/ Business version)
• Latest Microsoft Windows Updates
• Latest Microsoft Office Updates
• Latest laptop HW Driver updates
• Adobe Flash
• Microsoft Silverlight
• Adobe Reader DC
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 11
• Mozilla Firefox (latest Version)
• Google Chrome (latest Version)
• Microsoft Office 2013 (minimum) with Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Compression Software (7-zip)
• Media Player (Microsoft Windows Media Player / Video LAN VLC Media Player)
• PDF creator software (PDF Creator by PDF Forge )
Available Laptop Brands (South Africa):
• HP (Hewlett Packard)
It is important for students to note that the UFS will not take responsibility for ensuring that the laptop the student provides is suitable for use in the programme.
Starting your programme
The Advanced Certificate in Teaching Senior Phase English FAL online programme is designed as an efficient and accelerated means for educators to advance in their qualification level via an online platform.
To provide the maximum opportunity for students to complete their certificates, the academic calendar for the programme is organised into multiple admit term starts per year.
Each start date has accompanying application and payment deadlines that must be met before the student can begin.
Please see the calendar below for scheduled start dates and deadlines:
The ACT online programmes are designed to be affordable for educators, saving time and money compared to other formats. Tuition fees are calculated per 8-week session. Students can enrol in, and pay for, each consecutive session as studies progress. Payment is accepted through the online student portal and must meet the payment deadline.
Per 8-week session - R2 435
ACT – Senior Phase online programme (9 sessions) – R21 915 (total tuition)
International students pay an annual levy for 2017. The amounts are as follows:
International students (SADC countries): R2 800
International students (non-SADC countries): R4 020
Do you have questions or require more specific information about the Advanced Certificates in Teaching?
Please contact us according to your question topic:
• For more information on the ACT programmes available online
- Phone: 082 5482 493
- SMS “ContactMe” to 082 5482 493
- E-mail to email@example.com
• The student Technology Program (STP) from EduloanTM
• Technology specifications for the programmes
- Visit www.ufs.ac.za/ACTonline for laptop specifications
• Contacting the South Campus
- Write to: South Campus, PO Box 339, Church Street, Bloemfontein 9300, South Africa
- Call: +27(0)51 505 1342
• Visiting the South Campus
- South Campus, Oliver Tambo Street, Bloemfontein 9300