Postgraduate students please click here or contact the relevant faculty.
Undergraduate applications for 2021 are closed.

Students from other higher education institutions
Students from other higher education institutions (transfer students) who apply to the University of the Free State for the first time and who request recognition for modules passed at the other higher education institution, must submit a certified copy of their academic record (accompanied by a certificate of conduct, as well as a full syllabus of all modules passed) to the relevant faculty manager before February of each year.

Evaluating the content of the syllabuses is a time-consuming process, which could delay the registration process significantly.

Non-South African citizens without permanent residency must submit a valid study visa issued by the South African Department of Home Affairs/High Commission/Embassy, for the University of the Free State to the Office for International Affairs, before registration.

International students must submit certified copies of documents (school certificates, diplomas, etc.) and proof of provisional exemption from SAQA with their application, passport, study visa and proof of medical aid before and during registration.

All international students must provide proof of membership of an accepted medical aid fund, registered with the South African Medical Council. Hospital plans and travel insurance will not be accepted.

NB: No student will be allowed to register without the passport, proof of medical aid and the study visa issued for the University of the Free State. The letter that confirms a student’s admission to the university cannot be used as a study visa letter to apply for a study visa. Please contact the Office for International Affairs to issue such a letter.

International students who have studied at other universities in South Africa must re-apply for a study permit to study at the University of the Free State. A clearance letter, as well as a transfer letter from the previous university in South Africa, must be submitted during the application process. Students have to apply for a change of conditions on their study visas to study at The University of the Free State.

Students with visitors’ visas will not be allowed to register at the UFS. Visitors’ visas cannot be changed to study visas in South Africa.

The study visa can be renewed  and must be done by the student through VFS Global/South African Embassy (Please visit to complete your online application and book an appointment).


Jeanne Niemann: +27 51 401 3219
Fax: +27 51 401 9185
Fax: +27 86 218 5593 |

Back to Main Page

Registration Quick Links

The links below will help you navigate through the information pertaining to the 2021 Registration process.

← BACK — Page 2: Steps for Registration

→ NEXT — Page 4: General and Faculty Rules

We use cookies to make interactions with our websites and services easy and meaningful, to better understand how they are used and to tailor advertising. You can read more and make your cookie choices here. By continuing to use this site you are giving us your consent to do this.