Notice of discontinuation can be given as follows:

  • Students may cancel/discontinue modules themselves on the PeopleSoft self-service ( page, throughout the year of registration, except during the examination periods (the system will be closed from the day the semester marks are published until the end of the examination period). Please consult your academic advisor before effecting any changes on your registration.
  • A notice of discontinuation of registration on the relevant registration form may be submitted to the administrative faculty officer concerned in the George du Toit Administration Building after registration and throughout the year, except during the examination periods. Please consult your academic advisor before effecting any changes on your registration.
  • A student who has already left the University and is not able to cancel or discontinue his/her study via the self-service platform must send a notice of cancellation or discontinuation by registered mail to:

The Director: Student Academic Services
University of the Free State
PO Box 339

NB: The date on which the notice is handed in at/received by the university will be considered the date of notification for the purposes of calculating the amount due. Year modules are registered under the first semester and must consequently be cancelled/discontinued under the first semester (term 2201).

Please note the cut-off dates:

  • Second semester, last day: 11 September 2020

Minimum cost: In the event that a student cancel his/her study before the last date for cancellation, the student will be held liable for a minimum amount payable (for more information please refer to the tuition fees page )

Second semester: No financial credit will be granted for second-semester modules and year modules discontinued after 11 September 2020.

NB: No cancellation per fax/telephone/email will be accepted.

  • Social Work students must report to the Department of Social Work before giving notice of cancellation.
  • Nursing students must report to the School of Nursing before giving notice of cancellation.
  • Students who reside in a campus residence must cancel their accommodation with the Housing and Residence Affairs Department

Address or contact detail changes
It is the student's responsibility to inform the University about any change of address or contact details.

Cancellation of residence accommodation
In the case of a student to whom a place in a UFS residence has been allocated, confirmation of their complete cancellation for study must also be provided to the Housing and Residence Affairs Division: Room 121, President Steyn Annex, Main Campus.

Back to Main Page

We use cookies to make interactions with our websites and services easy and meaningful, to better understand how they are used and to tailor advertising. You can read more and make your cookie choices here. By continuing to use this site you are giving us your consent to do this.