The university is not permitted to register an international student without producing a VALID study visa. It has to report regularly to the South African Department of Home Affairs on the immigration status of international students. Please note that it can take between six and eight weeks for your study visa application to be processed.


Application Process
It is your responsibility to obtain a study visa before arriving in South Africa to commence your studies. Please note that your study visa is issued for study at one institution and you would have to apply for a change of conditions should you wish to change institutions.

You are required to apply for a study visa at the South African high commission, embassy, consulate or trade mission in your country of residence. If there is no South African representative in that country, you must apply at the nearest South African high commission, embassy, consulate or trade mission.

The following are the current requirements to be submitted to the South African embassy/consulate in your country in order to obtain your study visa:
  1. A passport valid for not less than 30 days after intended studies
  2. Payment of the prescribed administrative fee
  3. Confirmation and proof of payment for South African medical cover through a medical scheme registered with the SA Council for Medical Schemes. Cover must remain valid for the duration of the calendar year
  4. Letter of offer from the university stating the duration of degree
  5. Undertaking from the university-this letter is issued by the International Students Office
  6. Medical and radiological reports (less than six months old)
  7. Yellow fever vaccination certificate, if relevant
  8. Relevant certificates if married, widowed, divorced, or separated
  9. Details regarding arranged accommodation while in South Africa
  10. Proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition fees and maintenance
  11. A police clearance certificate for the past 12 months or longer since the age of 18

You are advised to submit the documentation as soon as possible to the South African high commission, embassy, consulate or trade mission – DO NOT send the documentation to the university. You should keep a copy of your submission and all receipts safely. Please note that it can take longer than one month to obtain a study visa.

The holder of a study visa for studies at a higher-education institution may conduct part-time work for a period not exceeding 20 hours per week.

Please contact Jeanne Niemann at the International Office.

Back To Top


NB:Application should be submitted 60 days before expiry of current visa.

Go to the VFS website

  1. Click on Online Application Form
  2. Click on Apply Now
  3. It will take you to the next page titled Schedule an appointment
  4. At the bottom of the list, click on the please click here link
  5. It will take you to the next page where you will be required to select the following options:
    1. Application type: Select Temporary Residence Visa
    2. Application sub-type: Select TRV-Renewal Visa
    3. Application sub-type category: Select Study Visa Section 13. This sub-category is dependent on the type of visa renewal
    4. Location: Select the office of VFS where you intend to submit your application
    5. Payment mode: Select the method of payment
    6. Previous Corporate visa no.: type the reference number of the current visa sticker.
  6. Click Submit to complete the transaction.
    Create a ‘User Profile’ for new users. If you have an existing account, ‘login’
    1. Click on New Application
    2. Complete form
    3. Schedule an appointment with VFS
    4. When the date is confirmed, the checklist, completed form, and payment details will be accessible. Download and print all the documents
    5. Prepare all supporting documents as per the checklist and make payment.
    6. Sign the completed form
    7. For the appointment, take along:
      • The completed signed application form
      • All supporting documents as per the checklist
      • Proof of payment (bank details on website)
      • Copy of passport
      • Copy of current visa
Please contact Jeanne Niemann at the International Office.

Back To Top


Refugees and asylum-seekers do not require study visas but need to submit proof from the medical aid (i.e. confirmation letter) that the medical aid is paid for the full year.

Please contact Jeanne Niemann at the International Office.

Back To Top


If a passport is stolen or lost, the incident must be reported to the police in order to get an affidavit, and also to Campus Control if the passport was lost/stolen on campus. The OIA will then issue the student with a copy of the passport (the page containing your personal details and passport number) and a copy of the study visa. The student should then proceed to their embassy to apply for a new passport. As soon as the passport is available, the student should go to dha/south Africa/to apply for a replacement study visa.

Documents required are:
  • New passport
  • Affidavit
  • Copy of stolen passport
  • Copy of study visa and
  • Confirmation of registration from faculty


    Passport renewals can be done at the embassy, high commission or consulate of your home country in South Africa.

  • Back To Top

    We use cookies to make interactions with our websites and services easy and meaningful, to better understand how they are used and to tailor advertising. You can read more and make your cookie choices here. By continuing to use this site you are giving us your consent to do this.