Universities South Africa (USAf) 

All foreign undergraduate applicants must apply for matriculation exemption through Universities South Africa. The application process is the responsibility of the applicant. Generally, the process should be complete before applying to the University of the Free State. In exceptional circumstances, exceptions are possible in accordance with the UFS rules. The latest, the letter of exemption from USAf must be submitted prior to registration. Please follow this link for further information and to apply: http://mb.usaf.ac.za

It is your responsibility to obtain a study visa before arriving in South Africa to commence your studies. Please note that your study visa is issued for study at one institution and you would have to apply for a change of conditions should you wish to change institutions.

You are required to apply for a study visa at the South African high commission, embassy, consulate or trade mission in your country of residence. If there is no South African representative in that country, you must apply at the nearest South African high commission, embassy, consulate or trade mission. The  following are the current requirements to be submitted to the South African embassy/ consulate in your country to obtain your study visa: http://www.dha.gov.za/index.php/types-of-temp-res-permits

  • A passport valid for no less than 30 days after intended studies.
  • Payment of the prescribed administrative fee.
  • Confirmation and proof of payment for a South African medical aid through a medical scheme. registered with the SA Council for Medical Schemes. Cover must remain valid for the duration of the calendar year.
  • Letter of offer from the university stating the duration of degree.
  • Undertaking from the university – this letter is issued by the Office for International Affairs.
  • Medical and radiological reports (less than six months old).
  • Yellow fever vaccination certificate, if relevant.
  • Relevant certificates if married, widowed, divorced or separated.
  • Details regarding arranged accommodation while in South Africa.
  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition fees and maintenance.
  • A police clearance certificate for the past 12 months or longer since the age of 18.
  • You are advised to submit the documentation as soon as possible to the South African high commission, embassy, consulate or trade mission – DO NOT send the documentation to the university. You should keep a copy of your submission and all receipts safely. Please note that it can take longer than one month to obtain a study visa.


The holder of a study visa for studies at a higher-education institution may conduct part-time work for a period not exceeding 20 hours per week (http://www.vfsglobal.com/dha/southafrica/study-visa-content.html)

We use cookies to make interactions with our websites and services easy and meaningful, to better understand how they are used and to tailor advertising. You can read more and make your cookie choices here. By continuing to use this site you are giving us your consent to do this.